Thursday, March 1, 2012

Curiouser and Curiouser!

Meet Jason and Patty of Curiocity!

I have been meaning to catch up with them for the longest time, and today I finally got the chance to do so! Jason promised me Risotto!

Having been out on the road since July of 2011, Jason's dream was to have a restaurant. In his words, with the economy in rough shape it was tough to get a restaurant, so the truck was the next best thing.
Having worked in a professional kitchen myself, I watching them prepare the food in front of my eyes, it was almost like being back there again. The way they paid attention to the last detail, garnishing and cleaning each plate made me feel as if I was dining at a 5 star restaurant. Much appreciated!

Jason told me that his main focus is using local farmer's market organic produce. No antibiotics, hormones, or enhancers in the beef, which is Brandt beef by the way.  All Natural, corn fed moo cows. . .  seriously you gotta try the stuff.

I got the chance to ask him what he thought about this purposed Bill 1678, to which he replied,
"I think its crap. Look at the menus of mine and other trucks then look at the cafeteria food. How many  schools are serving spinach and arugula salad with fugi or gala apples and real blue cheese?"

Not many, Jason. Not many.

So, I'll betcha wanna know what it is that they gave me to sample, huh?  Well feast your eyes on this spread!
Organic Turkey Chili, Mixed Wild Mushroom Risotto, Parmesan Truffle Fries, and that gorgeous Pancetta Topped Salad.  

The Turkey Chili, oh I am in L<3VE!!!!!! I believe I quote myself when I took that first bite and I exclaimed that I'd like to jump into a vat of it. Nice big chunks of organic turkey, well simmered in tomatoes, onions, and zucchini! Topped with chives and sour cream, this is one chili you don't want to miss! Little bit of heat, but not too much. The texture was off the chain! You've got that nice stewed turkey, the smooth sour cream, the crunch of the chives and it was nothing if not delicious.

Now I really must take the time to announce to the world that I HATE MUSHROOMS!!!! I can't stand them! I find them repugnant! The smell, the taste, the texture. . .yeeeuuuuccckkkkk!!!!!
HOWEVER! That being said, when I tried Jason's Mixed Wild Mushroom Risotto, I ate those words. . . along with the mushrooms.
5 different varieties in fact. Portabello, Crimini, Shitake, and and Oyster accompanied by organic spinach, truffle oil, Parmesan-Reggiano, with Arborio Rice. Jason added some heat to it with some chile flakes. Just enought to make your tongue loll off to a pleasant tingle. I actually ate the whole thing and resisted the temptation to say,
"Please sir, can I have some more?"
. .. . which I actually did say for the Turkey Chili. . . . . which is what I used to dip some of their delicious Parmesan Truffle Fries into. Not that they needed a sauce of any kind by any means.

Now I've sampled a fair few versions of Parm-Truff fries in my time, however in never fails so amaze me how different trucks can create the same dish yet make them unique at the same time. These were probably the lightest yet crispiest fries I've tried yet. There is something in the mixture or ratio of oil to parm, or fries to fry time or the kind of parm or the kind of oil each place uses, but in my opinion, Curiocity is now to date the new reigning champion of Parm-Truff Fries!

Let's talk about this salad. In a word, "WOW!" Spinach and arugula, Fuji apples, fresh crumbled bleu cheese, pancetta crisp on the top and drizzled with a Champagne-Honey Vinagrette!  It was sweet, but earthy and umami. I never get around to eating a lot of arugula but it makes me wonder if I should, it makes for a wonderful salad.

And to top it all off, I got to sample one of their delicious Brandt Beef Sliders.  Lets start with the bread, which is a potato bun which is crispified on the griddle. The patty was a perfect medium rare, just the way I like it and succulent as anything.  The cheddar they use on this burger is very much present in the tasting, which is a great thing because usually the cheese gets thrown in as a side note. But it was nice and up front in the flavor profile. The tomatoes are organic vine-ripened, and the pickle is almost the same size as the patty! JUMBO PICKLE!
When you first bite into the slider you get that nice crunch from the toasted bun, the hot and juicy patty and the great cheddar flavor, and then there is that creamy Curiocity sauce that defies explanation. SERIOUSLY.

My overall opinion is if you want to feel as if your are dining out at someplace fancy, this is the place to go if you don't want to spend $50 a plate at some snobby restaurant where they make swans out of napkins and the maitre d has a fake french accent. . . then Curiocity is the food truck for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment